About UsFrom 1950 to the present day
The company was founded on 3rd March 1950 by Wilfred Sutcliffe and his son Tom Sutcliffe. In 1952 Tom’s son Roger Sutcliffe also began working for the company and they diversified from timber and asbestos garages to concrete garages and buildings. Based in Manchester Roger continued to expand the business, opening a show The official filing receipt for the patent application of concrete panels 1955site in Preston and Birkenhead and recruiting agents within a hundred mile radius. David Ralphs became a director at this stage taking over responsibility for buying and helping to run the company. In 1971 David Ralphs suffered a heart attack and Stuart Farnell was promoted from joiner to Company Sales Manager.
Due to redevelopment in Manchester, the company purchased one of Walker Tannery’s in Weston Street, Bolton where it employed around 25 staff.
During the miners strike of the 1970’s, and subsequent three day working week, the company struggled due to its heavy reliance on electricity for machinery. Manufacturing was improved by purchase of the first dry press concrete machine in the UK in 1979, followed in 1982 by a large concrete casting machine. Aggregates were bought in from Derbyshire whilst the company tried to source as many materials locally.
In 1984 a fully automated wet cast concrete plant was installed which increased quality and efficiency of pebble-dashed panel production. At this time the decision was taken to expand the business and sell garages and concrete buildings on a national scale, with agents in Scotland and in the southeast of England.
Founder & Chairman Roger Sutcliffe (centre) pictured with: Stuart Farnell, Sales Director (left) and Chris Brown, Managing Director (right)Two years later Roger’s daughter, Susan, and her husband Chris Brown, joined the firm. Chris Brown was a chartered Quantity Surveyor and come from a construction background. He was appointed Managing Director and Susan took over from her mother Ann to run the accounts department. David Ralphs now retired and Stuart Farnell was appointed Sales Director.
In 2005 Roger Sutcliffe retired from the company, but still has involvement with the quality assurance audit.
In June 2012 Stuart Farnell retired from the company after 43 years of continuous service and we all wish him well.
Chris Brown has continued to develop the Business with the formation of a sister company in July 2013, Browns Garden Buildings Ltd who manufacture a range of quality timber garden buildings and home office and leisure buildings.
In January 2015 T Sutcliffe and Co Ltd was restructured to form Sutcliffe Garages Ltd along with a fresh new look to the company logo. The company still remains in the ownership of the same family and will continue to operate from its base in Bolton.
The company now offers a range of small industrial buildings, pavilions, garden buildings and domestic garages. It is one of the only two companies that offer a brick and stone finish, and has recently introduced anti-condensation roof sheets to the entire product range. Sutcliffe’s have completed contracts for Coca Cola, Thames Barrier, Bolton Metro, Telford and Wrekin Housing, Ministry of Defence, police authorities, and continues to be involved with garage and shed replacement schemes throughout the country.